Wednesday 17 April 2013

Berlin, JA

Hello there,
if you know me (which hopefully for your sake you do not) you will know that I arrived back in blighty after spending a large part of my year in Berlin (4 days).
It is the best city ever and I really think everyone should go because I had so much fun and you should go and have fun too..

  We arrived pretty late at our hostel which was at warschauer strasse (which according to wikipedia, is in friedrichstan) we asked the waiter what beer to get and we got one called paulaner which was delicious. If you've ever had Leffe it tastes a bit like that bit more smooth.
 Then we met some Germans, the one above was called Niccolo and the one below was called Olly. They were German.
We went to a bar called Astros which was about a 15 minute walk from our hostel and they played AMAZING music such as NEURAL MILK HOTEL, PIXIES and Dolly Parton. Also: Abracadabra by the Steve Millers Band. Plus CHEAP BEER!

There was a creepy rastafarian German man who kept trying to set my unfairly beautiful friend Becka and I's hair on fire. He did let Becka try on his hat, though. 

TUESDAY ! 
We got up really early to go sight-seeing and do touristy stuff the next day. Here is the back of Becka's head. Our first stop was the East Side Gallery - which is the longest surviving stretch of the Berlin wall. It's covered in amazing murals and stuff, AS I'LL SHOW YOU NOW.







Over the road is (I believe) the Berlin equivalent of the o2 arena and some people were taking photos of themselves standing outside it. Which is a bit odd when the Berlin wall is OPPOSITE it. Anyway - beep beep



We then went for the most delicious cappuccino in Friedrichstrasse  I have ever had in my entire life. 

NEXT STOP: FILM MUSEUM

We weren't allowed to take photos inside the museum but it was really awesome and well worth a visit. Plus: a Scorsese exhibition at the moment featuring the EXACT letters Travis Bickle sends to Iris and his parents in 'Taxi Driver' I geeked out so hard. also: Leonardo Di Caprio's costume from Gangs of New York which is ridiculous because it turns out he's really tall. I always imagined him to be a little prawn.

By this time, I had a severe case of hungry belly so we went to a deli across the road (I believe this is a chain because they were everywhere) The food was a solid 7/10 (bread a bit stiff)


This photo is fuzzy but I DON'T CARE LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN CAKES!
We stopped off on our way to the Reichstag (we were having tea with Angela Merkel) at the Jewish memorial. I didn't take many pictures (I took one). So here you go:




 Berlin is full of over-confident, chubby birds. These ones just FLEW into a Dunkin' Donuts!

After this, we went back to our hostel and freshened up before drinking some wine (1.99euro for a litre hooray!) and going out for a traditional German meal* and cocktails with my cousin and her friends. (I had a chicken burger).
I didn't take any photos of the evening - so you can all use your imagination.

NEXT POST WILL BE ALL ABOUT THE ZOO AND THE ANGRY GORILLA THAT RESIDES THERE.

*it was actually mexican food.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I love Berlin! We did all the cliché stuff, I loved the museum at Checkpoint Charlie... and the bits of the wall everywhere.

    Sadly I made a massive mistake and read Birdsong when I was there which has tinged all my memories with rain and sadness (I get too involved in books).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly! I Wanted to check that you're ok after us talking yesterday because I noticed your twitter and fb gone... i hope everythings fine.

    ReplyDelete