Tuesday 14 December 2010

christmas songs i wish i didn't like but i do.

I really love christmas. I love christmas so much in fact that today in english I wrote "25TH DECEMBER  = CHRISTMAS" on my notepad in big swirly bubble writing. Yesterday, I also rather rudely interrupted people's conversations with an exited "WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHRISTMAS SONG?!??!?" It seems that most people like the Pogues and Kirtsy Macoll. Which is wrong. That song is far too sentimental. Christmas songs should all be turkeys: cheesey and disgusting with sprinklings of sleigh bells and trumpet-riffs (if riff is the right word) that sound like an old sgt major melodically farting up his brussel sprouts, the type of songs that give you poultry-related food poisoning by Chris Evans just playing them whilst you eat your microwave-heated breakfast mince pie. I think you know what's coming, That's right, some christmas songs that I like (but wish i didn't).

Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas

I love the little Prokofiev bits especially as it reminds me of my favourite film (Love and Death) and it sounds like sleigh bells and snow. This is one of the christmas songs I discovered from my Cool Christmas CD that my mum bought at a Warneford Christmas Fayre on Mr Salles' stall. Best thing my old school ever gave me. (except my C at gcse textiles which has proved to be a vital skill in all my endevours).


The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)

As a commenter from youtube very appropriately wrote, "this makes me want to sip hot cocoa and kick ass at the same time". I don't think I could have put it better because that is exactly what this song makes me want to do. I also very much like the idea of Justin Hawkins and his mane of yellow hair opening up a present (which is a new guitar) and him  immediately playing a rockin' version of jingle bells. I now follow justin (we're totally on first name basis) on twitter and I intent to tweet him this blog when I'm finished with it.

Baby It's Cold Outside - Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer


This song makes me wish I had a figure like an ironing board, loads of brown clothing and rollers in my hair. Kind of. I just love it and I don't think I have to give a reason.

Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmas Time (or, if you're a dick, the smurfs did a cover of it)

This one ticks all the boxes.
Sleigh bells - CHECK
Awkward video which depicts an embarassingly typical at christmas time - CHECK
an ex beatle "Dad-dancing" - CHECK
mentions singing children - CHECK
and that is why this is the perfect christmas song.


 Brenda Lee - Rockin Around The Christmas Tree

It has a big massive list of all the things I'd like to do at christmas time but never get round to doing (perhaps because I'm too busy googling serial killers/writing crap blogs) like decking the halls with boughs of holly (mY NaMe) and caroling whilst eating pumpkin pie. I don't even know what pumpkin pie is and I want it. This song was also used in Home Alone, in the scene where he pretends to have guests which are made out of paper to fool the robbers. Brilliant bit of cinema MAGIC and brilliant bit of christmas cheer.




merry christmas and to all a good night/morning/evening/day/whenever you read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment